New measures will be introduced from 6am on Boxing Day to help keep Wales safe.
The measures are a revised version of alert level 2 to respond to the new omicron variant and are designed to help keep businesses open and trading and protect customers and staff.
The regulations bring back protections in hospitality businesses, including licensed premises, and in cinemas and theatres when they re-open after the festive period.
Strengthened guidance will be issued to help people stay safe in their own homes and when meeting others.
£120 million will be available for nightclubs, retail, hospitality, leisure and tourism businesses affected by the move to alert level 2 – double the new £60 million package announced last week.
The Economy Minister will announce further details tomorrow (23 December).
From Boxing Day, the alert level two measures will mean:
- A general requirement of 2m social distancing in all premises open to the public and workplaces, where reasonable.
- The rule of 6 will apply to gatherings in regulated premises, such as hospitality, cinemas and theatres.
- All licensed premises will need to take additional measures to protect customers and staff, including table service and collecting contact details.
- Face coverings will be required in hospitality settings at all times apart from when seated.
- Large events will not be allowed indoors or outdoors. The maximum number of people who can gather at an indoor event will be 30 and 50 outdoors.
- There will be an exception for team sports, up to 50 spectators will be able to gather, in addition to those taking part. There is also an exception for events involving children.
Last week new measures were announced for workplaces and retail – these will now come into force on Boxing Day. Nightclubs will also close on Boxing Day.
The Welsh Government will not be making new rules about mixing in people’s private homes, including gardens, in holiday accommodation or meeting outdoors. Instead guidance will be issued to help people stay safe.
To help you stay safe in your own home, we strongly advise everyone follows these 5 measures:
- Limit the number of people visiting your home.
- If people are visiting, make sure they take a lateral flow test in the morning before the visit.
- Meeting outdoors is better than indoors. If you’re meeting indoors make sure it’s well ventilated.
- Space out any visits.
- And don’t forget about social distancing and washing your hands.
There will be a separate offence for large gatherings – more than 30 people indoors or 50 people outdoors – in private homes and gardens.
For further information visit GOV.Wales
Source: Business Wales https://businesswales.gov.wales/news-and-blogs/news
Posted on: Wednesday 22nd December 2021