HMRC: Reporting coronavirus (COVID-19) grants and support payments

Grants and payments from schemes to support businesses and self-employed individuals during coronavirus (COVID-19) are taxable.

If you received a payment to support you during COVID-19, you may need to report this on your tax return if you are:

  • self-employed
  • in a partnership
  • a business

You need to report grants and payments from COVID-19 support schemes. These include:

  • the Self Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS)
  • test and trace or self-isolation payments
  • the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS)
  • Eat Out to Help Out
  • Coronavirus Statutory Sick Pay Rebate
  • Coronavirus Business Support Grants

Coronavirus Business Support Grants

These are grants or payments made by one of the following:

  • local authorities
  • devolved administrations

They are also known as local authority grants or business rate grants.

Examples of these grants in Wales include:

  • Welsh Government Business Grants (Grants 1 & 2)
  • Economic Resilience Fund

Please visit HMRC to find out more about how to report a grant or payment, which payments you do not need to report along with the help and support available to you

Source: HMRC 

Posted on: Thursday 14th October 2021